Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Run Ronnie Run

So here's one I would have never found if it weren't for IMDB. Being a big fan of Mr. Show with Bob & David, I tried to find out what else these guys had done. I had never heard of it before, and the concept kind of scared me. I'm really not a fan of redneck humour, but I knew that neither was Cross, so I had to assume it was a parody of it. I think Cross and Odenkirk were the only ones who knew this, because a lot of the other characters in the southern part of the movie played it like typical gross out hillbilly comedy. I think this was in part due to the directed, who Cross and Odenkirk did not get along with at all, and was the reason they both disowned the movie after its completion. There are blatant character motivation issues and plot holes all over, but hey, its still pretty funny. And unlike Idiocracy, it did a good job of making a point about the state of the entertainment business, and why such stupid things are glorified, like reality shows. Ultimately it's not a very interesting story, but the comedy of Cross and Odenkirk hold it together. I think the best part was Cross doing a dubbed voice for a little asian boy in a wheelchair whose dying wish was to meet Ronnie. But unless you're already a fan of these two guys, and know their stuff, I wouldn't recommend it.

No comments: